Return visa


If you have a residence permit giving you the right to remain in the Netherlands for a longer period, a time may come that you will need to extend or change your permit. If you have submitted an application for an extension or change of your residence permit and no decision has yet been made but you have an urgent reason to temporarily leave the Netherlands, for example for studies, medical treatment or a family event, then you can apply for a return visa.


In order to apply for a return visa, you must make an appointment with a Netherlands Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) service desk. You can make the appointment by phone (+31 88 063 04 30). You will be required to bring your passport to the appointment as well as proof of the urgent reason.


Children under 18 years of age can apply for a return visa along with a parent or legal representative.